Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Homework #5

I could not agree more with this article. The ending is the most powerful part:

"Whether we love Trump or hate him, is it possible we are all equally addicted consumers of spectacular images he continues to generate? Have we been complicit in the rise of Trump, if only by consuming the images generated by his person and politics? Do the critical counter-images that protesters create constitute true resistance, or are they instead collaborating with our fascination with spectacle?"

This stuck with me because I can admit that I am not, have not, and never will be a fan of Trump. Yet somehow I feel as though he is always being brought up in my every-day conversations. I am constantly seeing his tweets on my newsfeed. I am engulfed in his life even when I do not want to be. And when I walk in the Women's March, or the GOP retreat protest in Philly, am I feeding into these images when I post about it on my social media?

All-in-all, I think this article is powerful and current to our situation in America. Technology is taking over our everyday lives and effecting the way we think and feel, noticeably in this year's election. 

No comments:

Post a Comment